Monday, January 18, 2010

The simple life is a happy one

Have you ever been so moved by someone or something that you saw how much you lacked in your own life? Not to bash America, but today I realized how very materialistic we really are. How many times I have thought to myself, “oh how I wish I had my hair dryer, or my electric blanket, or my heater…” But today, I struck by the generosity of the people at my school. They will be collecting money for the people in Haiti and are going to just cover them in prayer. They will draw a flag on the basketball court and cover it in pesos. Then the students will write prayers and send them to the people of Haiti. I thought to myself, “how many schools are doing this in the U.S? Wait, wait, wait, how many CHURCHES are doing that in the U.S.?” I was so amazed at the heart of my supervisor, the other teachers, and the students reactions. They want the children to bring in their own money instead of raising money so that it is something they “give from their own pockets,” not just money they have received. I am so amazed at the generosity of this “third-world country.” These people truly give from their hearts.

Many of them live such simple lives, they may not have much, but they will give all they have to help others. I hope to be like that. I have so much to learn…

January 15, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment