Wednesday, January 13, 2010

mis quatros amigos...

What a day, what a day! Today is proof that we have no control over what happens in the future. This morning, I woke up, tried to help my hostess with breakfast, but of course being the gringa, I don’t even know when to flip the tortillas. =) Anyway, I got ready and when it was time to leave, my family kept trying to tell me something. They kept talking very quickly and I had difficulties understanding. El pastor took me over to the church and I soon found out that Pastor Palayo and his family (MY family!) would be going to a different church because he had to preach there unexpectedly. So, here I was, standing at the entrance of the church, knowing no one and watching my family drive off to go to another church. After standing there for about 20 minutes, one of the teenage girls asked me in English if I would like to sit with her and her friend, Ana. Of course, I was dying to sit with ANYONE! When I entered Sunday school, I was immediately bombarded with questions by the teacher. Once again, language barrier! AH! The teacher spoke Spanish so rapidly, I could hardly keep up, but I made another friend who happened to know English. He became my interpreter for the day. His name is Oscar.

There were a couple hundred people in the service and once again I was called upon. Thankfully I understood more, but I still had to stand up in front of everyone. Being the American, everyone wants to practice their English with you. Everyone wants to be your friend; all the guys stare at you and try to get your attention. Believe me, its’ quite the experience. They were all very kind though and very gracious. At the end of the service a young girl my age named Zaira ran to me and asked if she could talk to me for a moment. Zaira offered to teach me Spanish and take me to all the beautiful places in Guadalajara. In return, I will teach her English in preparation for her TEFL exam. This is right up my alley and I am excited to do so.

I am still so astounded at my treatment here in Mexico. I am always ALWAYS treated as a guest. Even when other people are there, I come first. I always sit with the adults. I am always served first. They are always looking out for my needs. My family is wonderful and I would be heartbroken if I had to leave and live with another family. I have enjoyed every bit of their company and friendship toward me. God has blessed me so much here.

Word of the day: “Lista?” Which means, “Ready?”

January 11, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment