Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The never-ending adventures of Guadalajara

Given less than a week to live, Isaiah, man who is very, very sick has asked to see Pastor Palayo, Pastor Cesar, and Victor. Because of this, the men have to leave very early in the morning to drive four hours to get to Guanajuato. The plan was for Victor to drop me off at school, get Pastor Cesar, pick up Pastor Palayo, then head out. As I said, this WAS the plan. I was dropped of at school around 7:30. I sat quietly in my desk grading papers so nonchalantly when one of the administrator for primary school told me that someone was at the gate waiting for me and she thought it was my friend, Victor. So of course I rushed to see what was going on. Stranded with a flat tire in the middle of the traffic and no minutes to call anyone (due to our previous “adventure”), he had come to ask me to call Pastor Cesar. I agreed. Only when I started dialing the numbers just a few minutes later did I realize that I ALSO did not have any minutes due to the last adventure. Well, I’m sure it was quite a sight to see me rushing around all that morning just a few minutes before school started. The morning of adventures had already begun. As Victor said, “just on another adventure!”

Classes went quickly after that. Nothing too eventful happened (except for our ice cream party of course!). at about 12:30, I had my read-aloud time with my 5th graders. Just a few minutes after I had finished, another teacher (from the high school) ran into my room and said, “Is Sheila here? Where is Sheila? I think her parents are on the phone!” Thoroughly confused and concerned, I walked briskly to the office to see what was wrong. Everyone seemed so concerned. I picked up the office phone and there were my parents laughing and joking around. Of course, my first words were, “Who died? I know someone MUST have died for you to be calling me at school!” Obviously, there was not good communication about what time school ended and when I would be at the school. My parents had talked to someone else and heard that 1:15 in the afternoon was “a good time to call Sheila…” Well, after my brief conversation with my parents, I proceeded to sneak back to my classroom, praying that no one saw me. Later, everyone asked if my family was ok and why they had called. Of course, you can imagine my sheepish response…

Because my Mexican family was not yet back and would not be back till late, I stayed the night with Lauren and her family. This was a different experience for me primarily because they are a more upper class family. Not only were they upperclass, but also they have a lot of American influence. This was good for me to see, so that I can see different family and how they interact. Though, I must say, I greatly missed my own family here in Guadalajara. I deeply missed “my six year old shadow.”

January 12, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment