Saturday, January 9, 2010

No more forks...

I have determined after today, forks are optional. Beans, eggs, soup, anything can be eaten with bread or with a tortilla. I will never look at forks in the same way ever again. A tortilla can be used as a fork or a spoon! I love it. Although, as an American, it takes some getting used to. Let me just say, it is very difficult to eat with your fingers when you are not used to it, with a tortilla, and without making a mess, AND not needing a napkin. It’s quite the challenge, but I am determined to master this art of eating. There are so many things to learn: eating, speaking, teaching, listening, obeying the rules of culture when you don’t even know what the rules are… I have found though, in spite of this, the people are so gracious and do not get offended easily. The more I am here, the more I appreciate the people. They are hospitable beyond imagination and so gracious. Victor drives me around everywhere though gas is extremely expensive and though he has to drive an hour to get here. They bless me so much.

Today, he took me to get my cell phone. This time though, we had no catastrophies or problems. After it was finished (and I understood nothing of what they said) Victor said, “see? Easy peasy!” And I was like, “Ha! Whatever, not for us Americans!”
My mother has a saying whenever I complain about something, “The Lord is preparing you for the mission field.” This drives me absolutely crazy, but today, I was reminded of those words. First was when I had a nice cold shower which eventually had no pressure. It became a small trickle. This may not seem big to you, but if you knew how often I joke about the water pressure at my grandfather’s house, you would understand. I always joke about it trickling out. Next, was when I lost all water in my bathroom. My mother’s words came back to me since I greatly complained over Christmas because the water at my Grandfather’s house was not working and of course, I heard her words over again in my mind.

So yes, when you begin to complain about an inconvenience, just remember, God could be preparing you! =)


Saturday, January 9th

2 comments:

  1. Gina Lowe likes your writing style, & thinks you should keep these logs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you may tell her that I will definitely keep them. When I am finished, I am going to print them out and put them in a binder or foler or something. They shall be quite a keepsake.

    ReplyDelete