Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I once was lost but now am found

Today, what a day! After a long day of parent teacher meetings, it was time to ride the bus. I gave the man my 6 pesos and settled down for the ride. Only problem was that it was so full that I could hardly even get out of my seat. I stepped onto the sidewalk, relieved that I had made it off the bus and onto my sidewalk. Then, like out of a dream, I heard my name…and yes, it was in ENGLISH! My eyes scanned the sidewalk, then the road before finding the familiar looking truck in front of me. Then I recognized the person from whom the sound it was coming from. It was LAUREN! In the middle of Guadalajara, 30 minutes from school, here was Lauren, right on my street! I couldn’t believe my eyes. She and her party were on their way to the center (within walking distance of my house) and they were lost on my street. We all went (Lauren and I in the back of the truck of course) to the center together. It was my first time seeing the plaza there, some of the market, and other sites known to the center. We had wonderful tacos and horchata. After several hours had passed, we got back into the truck and I was dropped off at the bus station at la Plaza del Sol, which is near Lauren’s house). Of course, I kept an eye out for my bus, number 258. When I finally saw it, I rushed to get on. After some time had passed, I began to see signs and stores I did not remember. It also didn’t help that the man sitting down near me (I was standing) kept staring at me the whole time!)The bus turned on streets I had never been on. Then I realized…I CAN’T be on the right bus. This isn’t right. I looked on the side window, and there it was- bus 258D. I knew I was in trouble now, but I had to keep my cool. The last thing I wanted everyone to know was that I was lost. I couldn’t even see the street signs around me. I had no idea where I was. Finally I saw a cathedral and knew I was near the center. Victor’s first words when I called him and told him I was on the wrong bus were, “Are you kidding me?” because of course, I always joked about being on the wrong bus! Here I was, in the dark, by myself, in the middle of Guadalajara, completely and totally lost. I had never been so happy to see Victor’s lovely purple SUV. Completely exhausted from my events of the day, I returned home, happy to sleep it off…
01/22/2010

4 comments:

  1. Sheila.....I never has had anyone taken any advantage of me ever in Guadalajara...it is not Mexico City....just say:
    "Dispense, me puedas decir donde pasa camion or ruta/ 258?" You can ask anyone! If you ask three people and they all say the same thing you have the right answer. Don't be afraid....you are doing great! Also keep a piece of paper with a written address of where you are headed and get a yellow taxi...they are safe and metered....because sometimes Victor's cell minutes run out....if for some reason you can't reach him in an emergency....remember this number 35-66-42...they will come for you if you tell them Melisa and Ramon...it is Ramon's cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great tip! i will definitley write that down and remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O Sheila... almost the exact thing happened to me last week, so I laughed so hard reading this post! Only I didn't have a phone when I got lost, just lots of pr@yer. When I realized I was completely lost in the middle of Kunming knowing no Chinese, I started to panic a bit, but figured the bus would eventually end up back where it started and I'd find my stop. Somehow it all ended up well, I was sooooo thankful to see the Rodgers' house where I'm staying! (I'm glad you understand :) o, the adventures of student teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Sheila...sounds like you had an adventure : )

    ReplyDelete