Saturday, January 9, 2010

First day of school

My very first day of school started at 5:45 in the morning. To get to my school on time (7:30) we would have to leave around 6:45 or 7 AM. So, I got ready then Victor met me to take me to the school. The first words I heard in the car were, “do you have the address of the school?” And I said, “No, I thought you knew were it was…” “Don’t worry; we will find it,” were the following words from Victor. After much driving and asking (for directions of course) we finally found the school at 8:15. For those of you who don’t know, 8:15 translates as LATE. Well, I figured, this is Mexico, if anyone understands what it is to be late, it’s the people in Mexico. Nonetheless, the teacher and administrators were very kind and forgiving. I had a tour of our small campus that holds 600 students. I then went and met my teacher. She was so wonderful. I loved her right away. She is excited about helping be in every way possible to become a better teacher. I am so excited to have such an amazing teacher to work with. She is very hands on and non-traditional. She plays many games with the students and always has them moving. She is my kind of teacher! Not only do I have a wonderful teacher, I have a wonderful family I am living with. They are so kind to me. They would give the clothes on their back to help someone. They have sacrificed to have me in their home and I appreciate them so much. They cater to me far too often. Anyway, I am so blessed by them. After school, I came home and the family wanted to watch a movie. Because they really do cater to me so much, they tried to find a movie they had that had English or English subtitles so I would be able to understand. After about 20 minutes of searching, I figured out what they were doing and exclaimed that I did not mind if it was in Spanish. Believe you me, how interesting it is to watch UP in Spanish. Quite comical! I had to listen hard, but enjoyed it. I also got to test my translating skills. The movie had English writing on it, so I had to translate what it meant into Spanish. Que Chido!

No comments:

Post a Comment