Monday, March 1, 2010

An unexpected reward

I just had a reminder of exactly why I want to be a teacher, especially teaching Bible. Teachers have this unbelievably amazing emotional high when they see one of their students excel and learn. When I prepared for my night of little sleep and much nail paint (a.k.a. The 5th grade girls’ sleepover) I did not expect to be unexpectedly rewarded. Yes, it was a great time of hanging out, fun, and laughter, but when it came time for the devotion, all the girls settled down. Maryn, the other 5th grade teacher read from the Max Lucado book, You are Special.
Sidenote: My class memorizes a new verse every week. As I was teaching on Samuel for the second week, I had no idea what verse to use, so as I turned the pages of my Bible, on a search, Isaiah 43 caught my eye. I wrote it down on the board. No reason or Rhyme (or so it seemed).
When Maryn got to the part in the book when the little creation is talking to His maker, the maker of the little toy/thing says, “You are mine, I made you exactly the way you,” one of my girls excitedly raises her hand and goes, “Hey it’s just like our verse, ‘Fear not, I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine!” All the other girls in my class nodded their heads in agreement. I cannot tell you the emotion that ran through my veins. As a teacher, I think this is the greatest reward that one can have, for a student to take a verse and knowledge that we teachers hope and pray they understand, and they take it and apply it. I am so thankful the Lord had me there to witness this incredible dawning of understanding and application!
Feb 19,2010

No comments:

Post a Comment