Wednesday, March 3, 2010

“And they shall know…”

It’s week 3 day 3 of full time teaching. 2 more days to go, then slow-down time. How exciting! I feel like those first 2 weeks of full time teaching was so…”go go go go go” and hectic. Week 3 is more like, “relax, enjoy the scenery, have some fun.” Really, for the first time with my students, I was really silly. They are finally a little more under control and I can be a little crazy. We read about David and Goliath today-yes, a story we all know, but I think we had fun. I got to act like I was puney little david and one of my students had to use his manly voice to be goliath. In reading, my silliness continued for a few minutes. I had Karen, one of my quieter, more well-behaved students, uncontrollably laughing. It was great to see. I finally felt a little more like myself, I was having a little more fun and not caring too much what they thought about my silliness. I think/hope they loved it. Though I know I still have a long way to go, I love to look back and see the progress I’ve made. Math was not so great today, but when I look back on how I felt at the beginning about teaching math, I realize how confident I have become and I feel like I could definitely teach any math to elementary. I feel more confident in my classroom management skills- thanks to Kelli. Life has been pretty easy this week. My student who used to roll her eyes at me all the time, now listens to what I say and I haven’t seen any eyes rolling around lately. Occasionally, she even smiles at me =) Student teaching is no longer so stressful and difficult. I feel like I could be a teacher now. I actually cant WAIT to have my own class, do certain things my own way, make my stamp. I look forward to teaching instead of dreading that math lesson because I know that a student might have to comfort me because I did so badly. Never will that happen again. I think I have the confidence, and the help and support to make it. If I may, I am going to change a little bit of what David said to Goliath. Facing my own battle, I say, “I come not to teach with unbeatable lesson plans, snazzy computers, abundant resources, and impressive skills, but with the help of the Lord God. Because of what He will do through me, my students will see and know that He is the Lord.”
3/3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment