Friday, March 12, 2010

So Little Time

Sometimes the weeks seem to go by so slowly, but as I looked at the calendar today, I realized we only had 2 more weeks left to teach! WHAAAAAAT? Yeah. It’s been good though. Still waiting for God’s guidance, but enjoying my time here, just the same. Last night we had our first “Parent school” night since I have been here. It was quite the long day. I taught Math and two periods of history. Went to the Brien’s house for lunch and got to know them a lot better, which was absolutely incredible! I found out we have the same heart-orphanages and ministry. I love it. Then off to “Parent School.” I felt very encouraged though because of one of my students and her mom. I had just assigned a big project for my students. They are to create an Egyptian museum, which I am very excited about. The mom of my student, Karen, said that the whole way home, the whole afternoon, and the whole way to the meeting, all Karen could talk about was pyramids and mummies. She complimented my teaching and said I was a good teacher. After last week, I felt like this was such a huge encouragement. Nonetheless, it was a long night, especially if you haven’t looked at your lesson plans and it’s 11 at night. Let’s just say that there was lots of coffee flowing in the classroom today! It’s a beautiful thing in life, a beautiful thing…So today I taught math. Thought it seemed rather uneventful, I had a lovely classroom management moment today, at least I thought so. We were going to do some fun pair work stuff, but as I chose partners, my students began to shake their heads and moan. Just yesterday, Kelli had talked to them about that. After two students in a row did it, I just said, “You know what? Forget it, take out a book and read.” There was complete and utter silence for the next ten minutes until I was the one who began talking to them and asking questions about what they were reading. Total silence! Later, I finally let them do their pair work and let’s just say that this time, they didn’t moan and groan. Becoming a teacher, I think I am!
March 12, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment