Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I once was blind, but now I see…and how thankful I am!

Today, we went on a field trip!!! I have heard that every field trip ends in a headache for the teachers…I found this to be quite true, but not because of the students. Trompo Magico was an amazing experience. There were so many hands-on activities for the students to do. There was a section that was to teach the senses and functions of the body. If you held onto this machine with your hands, you could watch a fake heart pumping to the beat of your heart…creepy, I know, but definitely cool. There was a place where you could smell all kinds of different scents and you could literally WATCH sound waves. If that’s not cool, I don’t know what is. Our last section of Trompo Magico took place in a very dark room (several rooms actually). In this area, rather like a maze, it was so dark you couldn’t see a thing. The only advantage you had was all your senses EXCEPT for sight. There were traffic sounds. We had to find our way around the cars and try to cross the street, without sight (they weren’t actual moving cars, mind you). We had to feel the different foods and eat without being able to see; we had to go on a boat ride without seeing. This whole time we were only to use our hands and walking sticks. This seems really great, but my main challenge was the fact that I was practically deaf AND blind. I understood very few words our guide said. I understood words for left, right, straight, sit, be careful, and that’s it. I did not understand anything that was going on. I was separated from my students for the majority of the time. I never realized how frustrating it could be. I can’t imagine being blind and moving to a different country. For an hour and a half, I could not wait to get out of that room! I couldn’t wait to see where I was going. I couldn’t wait to understand what was going on around me. Finally, at the end of our tour, I literally saw a light at the end of the tunnel and my heart leaped for joy! Also, I saw our tour guide at the end. I was shocked to find that he was blind. I had no idea. The whole time, it was the blind leading the “not-so-blind.” And believe me, he did a FAR better job of getting around in that room that I did! Wow! What an appreciation I gained for those who are blind or deaf. I couldn’t believe how stressful it was and how frustrating it could be. What a blessing to have eyes that see and ears that hear. How thankful I am for the gifts God has given me.
01/29/10

No comments:

Post a Comment