Thursday, February 11, 2010

Four weeks…

Can you believe it? I have been here for 4 weeks!!! Where has the time gone? How will I ever be able to leave? I have no idea. I feel like God has been confirming the possibility of coming back to Mexico in August, but nothing is sure yet. I talked to my parents on Sunday, expecting to be bombarded by questions and advice. Instead, the words spoken to me were, “Sheila, whatever your decision, we support you 100%.” What incredible parents I have! My grandfather even agreed to fly down and see me! My best friend messaged me and said, “I will miss you, but do whatever God wants you to do.” The encouragement has not stopped coming. I am so incredibly blessed to have such a support system! Please keep praying for God’s guidance and peace as He leads me in what to do next year!
02/03/10

Today was my very first full day of teaching. It will not happen every day this week, but today was the day. I taught Math, Reading, Grammar, and Spelling. I loved every moment. I definitely was making up stuff as I went along sometimes, but it was fun to have my own class and yeah. In math, I got to teach my students something new. We got the joy of using protractors today to measure angles. We measured things in the room that had angles, the open door, the desks, the window…They enjoyed getting out of their seats and doing things. I then taught reading on summarizing. The students came to the front, chose a paper out of my little cup and had to summarize the topic written on their paper. Grammar and spelling though…this was my challenge. All future student teachers, here’s a free tidbit: BE PREPARED! =) no really…be prepared. Know what you are doing ahead of time…EVERYTHING. Make sure you have copies of everything you need. For me, I needed copies of a worksheet, but didn’t have it. So, we made it up and everything was just fine. My favorite part of teaching today was saying, “ready, get set, GOLDFISH!” or “ready, set, GOLDEN!” After a while though, they got smart, too smart. They could no longer be tricked. I am going to love being a teacher, I’m convinced. I had some doubts when I realized how much lesson planning there is and that I would have fifth graders, but in spite of it all, I’m loving it! I’ve been planning for hours, and now it’s time to hit the sack! Goodnight readers…read on!
2/8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment