Thursday, April 1, 2010

Last week

Well, a week has passed since my last blog entry. Things have been busy here. It’s been a long week. To sum it all up, I taught my last lesson on Thursday, Lauren and I got our hair and nails done. =) I got to observe 1st and 2nd grade classes and we finished student teaching officially on Friday. Thursday and Friday were spent in sickness of the stomach infection, but Friday I made it to school for the very special occasion my students had planned. My students are incredible. They may not be really huggy or telling you how much they love you every moment, but when it counts, they go above and beyond to show you how much they love you. For weeks (without my knowledge) they had planned a going away party for me. We had these Mexican chip things, brownies and coke. With all the chairs in a circle, we ate our snacks and my students each said something they liked about my teaching and a tip for being a good teacher, (especially to 2nd graders!). I had the amazing opportunity to tell them that I would be coming back next year. They were so excited, it made me bubble with joy! Hojun was the first to share what he liked and his tip. And I quote, “Ms Iman, you will be a good teacher because you are very patient with us, especially when we don’t understand something. And a tip: Second graders are CRAZY!” They had just had the second graders in their class that morning and realized how long their attention span really was! Hehe. Next was Arturo, oh dear Arturo… “Ms Iman, you are very patient with …um…with some of us (looking very sheepish and guilty as the whole class laughed because we all knew WHO he was referring to-himself).” My fifth graders gave me a book filled with letters from them and their pictures, as I flipped through and read, we all talked and laughed. It was wonderful. I treasure the time I had with them. We had a lot of rough spots, but I saw them grown as well as myself.

Saturday we had the club for the children in a different town, children, who once again, have very little. But I must say we had some difficulty getting there. Vicktor had already gone with some of the other guys to the town, while I rode with Pastor Ceasar and everyone else who was going. For about an hour or so the van refused to start. We sat there in the heat waiting, hoping it would start soon so we could go. We knew that Vick and the other guys would be the only ones playing games with about 100 kids. They would have no other help if we could not come. Finally the van started and we were able to get there. I enjoyed myself even more this time since I got to take more of a part. I was on the red team, cheering them on with my limited Spanish vocabulary. =) I enjoyed every moment-met a little girl named Dulces (or sweet/candy). I’m reminded of all the times I did Bible clubs in the states.
March 27, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment