Tuesday, April 13, 2010

LOST...

Lost- and no, I don’t meant the tv show! Taxi Church, lost, taxi, bus, coyocan taxi
I woke up this morning with great anticipation. When I think of Mexico City, I always think of my beloved friends, the members of the church, Faro de Gracia. I remember their loving embraces and words. They were always so kind to me. Today was no different. As we sneaked into one of the back rows (late of course), I looked around me. Some faces I knew and remembered with great fondness. Others were new faces I had never seen before. As I listened to the Spanish service (understanding the majority of it), I was encouraged reading the scriptures about Christ’s resurrection. Most of the service consisted of the reading of Scriptures and I was reminded how important the Scriptures were. How many people go through this day, not even reading the Easter story? After the service, I was finally able to greet the members of the church. First of course, were Ezekiel and Cloudia Lopez. Whenever I am in Mexico, this is the family I most long to see. Three of their children were not there, but their son Daniel, was. It was so encouraging to see him, even if he is taller than me now. He’s a little bigger than he was 5 years ago, when he was only 10! As I spoke with these brothers and sisters of mine, it felt like I had come back home. We were embraced and welcomed warmly. Even if there were members I did not know, I would tell them that I was the niece of Wayne Andersen, their pastor, and they would hug and kiss me, and welcome me. If I could have stayed there all day long, I would have. It was a beautiful reunion. We talked to the Lopez family for about an hour after church, just catching up, enjoying each other’s friendship. I believe that is how church is supposed to be. It’s not about a building, group, translation or rules. Going to church should feel like coming home, where you are loved, accepted, and encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment